IN CASE YOU MISSED IT Olayinka Ogunsuyi (MD Royal Regency Colleges Ajah Badore, additionally the convener of the NGO – #EducationRightsWatch) provides a recap of his radio media chat from July 11, 2020, at UniLag FM studios.
Yinka Ogunsuyi critically assesses the present scenario of the pandemic; asking if colleges, dad and mom and wards are ready for College resumption?” – being a recap of my radio media chat of July 11, 2020, at UniLag FM studios.
- He acknowledged that COVID-19 has dramatically affected, halted and altered our lives greater than we imagined and that the College system is a part of the worst hit and final frontiers of its victimhood.
- He appreciated the protection issues of the authorities and their reluctance to open up Colleges for regular studying actions.
- He additionally sympathized with the Governments in Nigeria and different stakeholders on the ambivalence ‘to open or to not open’ Colleges peaking with the identical ambivalence about writing the terminal exams particularly WASSCE performed by sub-Continental examination physique – WAEC.
- He recognized the ‘WE’ within the context to imply the stakeholders within the instructional sector viz:
Authorities & its regulatory businesses
College operators & managers – Federal, State & non-public
Dad and mom & Dad and mom our bodies
Pupils & college students – at Kindergarten, Primary, Secondary & Tertiary ranges.
- He concluded that the final 3 – Operators, Dad and mom & College students – are prepared in the primary and prepared to renew with strict observance of the spelt out security protocols.
- He urged that the terminal exams would supply the wanted testing grounds for the flexibility of Colleges to handle the scenario.
- He can see no purpose why finalists in Universities and different Tertiary establishments cannot additionally return to Campus to complete up their research and open up area for others to comply with later. (Our Ayokunle is on this class – had solely four weeks to complete his Bachelor’s).
- He feels the quandary of the FG as operators of strictly boarding Colleges known as ‘Unity Colleges’ and their seeming loss on what to do about their college students.
- However he feels they’ve the least onerous nuts to crack.
- They’ll display in college students & their minders into College as soon as and for all.
- This needs to be simple picks for the ultimate 12 months class college students who’re fairly a couple of in all Colleges.
- He, due to this fact, marvel at their retreating of WASSCE.
- At any price, you do not resolve an issue by shying away from it.
- In Nigeria, Governments (Federal & States) usually play a trilogy function of College Homeowners, Operators & Regulators all on the identical time.
This could actually make it simple as they
- Create operational guidelines & requirements; function with the principles
Implement requirements & monitor compliance – for his or her Colleges in addition to for others by means of their Inspectorates.
The above state of affairs, due to this fact, places the Governments in a vantage place to guage efficiency effectivity.
So as soon as Authorities is able to play its roles together with the availability of vital well being and different supportive infrastructure, then WE (on all fours) are prepared for College resumption since different Three stakeholders are prepared.
Certainly the Personal Operators, the constituency that I characterize, are very prepared, extra so for these of us within the nationally organized and Related Colleges.
This week will see a dramatic flip of occasions in SCH opening – arising from that easy present.
I made the factors very STRONGLY and gave the Authorities no hiding place.
- He additionally challenged different States to place our FEDERALISM to a check by following the Oyo State instance and shun the FG ‘headmaster’ posturing – on condition that Schooling is on the concurrent legislative listing.
I said that if the remainder of us (States & Personal) are certainly prepared for resumption and FG Colleges will not be, we should not be held again.
- He made a powerful level for our College students to put in writing WASSCE whereas adopting sufficient bodily distancing & for our younger adults in Tertiary establishments to be trusted to self supervise themselves & be allowed again to high school.
- He urged varied sensible methods the Authorities (public) Colleges can handle their teeming college students inhabitants by means of:
- Shift College attendance
- Use of ‘blended studying’ (the mix of precise & On-line) to bridge the hole from the ‘shift faculty attendance’.
- Use of the Governments’ mass transit buses to convey college students & pupils to/fro College
- Institution of response hubs in Major Well being Centres throughout the Nation as referral centres for attainable circumstances
- Coaching of extra first responders to man the hubs so created.
- Administration of OTC immune boosters (Vit C, Zinc & excessive protein) each day to fortify faculty kids
and many others.
In conclusion, I held that:
- Totally different generations had and managed the challenges life thrust at them however society ALWAYS moved on.
- Covid-19 appear to have no ‘fast repair’ and so this technology has to plot a method to reside & address it simply as we do with Malaria.
- That the proposed halt to training as proposed by the FG will spell doom for society as we will already see with the brand new ‘rape epidemic’ approaching the heels of faculty disruption.
- If the identical FG can okay the resumption of home flights given the very excessive danger of many passengers in a CLOSED area, why will not the identical authorities permit Colleges to open when Colleges can function in OPEN & VENTILATED classroom areas?
- Regardless of security concerns, the federal government is just being cautious & good by half by conserving the youngsters at residence whereas their dad and mom are out on the highway looking for livelihood; as a result of in actuality, the youngsters are NOT at residence but in addition on the roads & streets the place they stand a better danger of an infection and that in any case, their dad and mom who’re additionally all around the locations with little or no care may also carry the virus residence to their kids.
- WE CAN NOT KEEP CHILDREN AT HOME IN PERPETUITY AS ‘PRISONERS’ OF COVID-19.
- Personal College operators, particularly NAPPS Colleges, are at all times able to handle the scenario as we did with the Ebola virus. It behoves on Governments to place the correct mechanisms of their Colleges in order that we will collectively be prepared for resumption.
- Governments, as regulators, are to additionally present surveillance & compliance Groups to observe security adherence by all stakeholders.
These have been my advocacies on Sat.
Educator & Administrator (Royal Regency Badore, Ajah, Lagos).
Mr. Yinka Ogunsuyi Poses along with his household at the moment at base (HOME)