The previous beneficiaries of N-Power demand the sum of N300bn naira grant, carrying out a protest in Abuja.
On Thursday, the N-Power beneficiaries started a rally in the National Assembly and proceeded to the Federal Secretariat Complex, Abuja. The protesters asserted that they were the representatives of the federal government N-Power beneficiaries.
Rhoda Iliya, the Ministry Deputy Director, said in a statement that the protesters on Friday demanded that the federal government should pay 500,000 beneficiaries the sum of N600,000 each.
However, the federal government made it clear to them that they cannot afford that huge sum of money as grant. More so, that they will be able to pay the new beneficiaries whose registration had already commenced.
The deputy director said:
“The ministry wishes to state that this demand was not part of the agreement of engagement they signed with the Federal Government, which clearly stipulated that they will be exited after two years.”Rhoda Iliya
She added further that “the government cannot afford the N300bn they were asking for as grant.”
The ministry stated that the federal government were worthy of notice to have disbursed hundreds of billions to N-Power beneficiaries.
Also, to ensure that every outstanding is settled, they are currently liaising with the Office of the Accountant-General of the Federation.
In short, the ministry put the hopes of the exited beneficiaries high. They stated that they were contacting other departments, such as CBN to see if they can benefit from their programs.